Tuesday, May 15, 2007



Jewel slices through the brittle shell of chatter with the edge of her verve to reveal bright pearls of revelation and healing that at once provoke and calm. “Will your star die” takes favored lines from several poems to build a wry interrogative metaphor. Her latest project is dealing with radical breast cancer surgery, but that’s another story.

You will find all the poems that these lines come from in Silk Tracks - Purging Silences from Cells. Check the sidebar for ordering instructions.









“I got the magic in High School. Right away I knew it was my medium. Forensic competition sharpened my wit and I’ve become a slash and burn editor. When there’s nothing more to cut and nothing more to insert, it jumps the line to the source and makes the point.

Then my head floats and I’m in fullness.”





Silk Tracks Titles

For you, my dear Teacher, The Jewel of Denial
Fear
Prerequisite for a poet - part I
Prerequisite for a poet - part II
A mother's dream. A rude awakening -
for Polly Klaas
9:45 Moses is riding his tricycle
Womanizing - perpetual rape
The moment
Only the air is free
Anger
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
But the moon howled first
Linguistic symptom
Waiting patiently for the white knight
Double L.A. hustle
5 ways to leave your unfaithful lover
A letting of blood to ease the pressure of the heart
Pissed on and pissed off
Shadow of a doubt
for Lu
Don't box. corner or cross me
The victims hush
Thirty and counting
Becoming a full moon
Do men hold in their stomach also? (What about sleeping?)
Prerequisite for a poet - part III
Holding Hans
Stood up: Massive sugar binge
Sadness
The divorce
Not a klu
Joy
She
Mary stripped of duty
My spirit takes the wind by surprise
Nursing a brave seduction
Nursing another brave seduction
The second coming has nothing to do with Christ
Stale bones just ripe for breaking
The mose buddahful baby
Compassion
Call it
Infinite one
Esoterica
for Gabrielle
Iron bird
for Scott
The death of a dancer
in memory of Kathleen
A tearless death
Grandpa
Silk tracks
Question your hallucinations


JEWEL MATHIESON AND THE 5 RYTHMS INTERNATIONAL DANCE COMMUNITY

As the poet Laureate of the 5 Rythyms International Dance Community, and as a person for whom dance is inextricably woven into the fabric of her life, Jewel has written a series of poems that examine the intense self awareness generated by the cadence of body through rythmic time. They are used in 5 Rythyms practice and collected for you to explore in This Dance

Gabrielle Roth, the founder of 5 Rythyms Practice riffs on Jewel’s edgy emotional wave in “Maps”

"I remember the moment
Jewel burst into my vision.
Liquid motion, raw passion,
revolutionary leaps of consciousness held together in faded leotard.

The bones of her story hung in space
like skinny revelations whispered in quivering muscles.
I witnessed her transformation from a girl to a woman,
from a lover to mother,
from student to teacher,
from an abused child to a wounded healer
and all the while I could not separate her feet from her mouth,
her pain from her beauty,
her freckles from her wisdom.

In her surrender,
I have seen God with my own ears."




See the sidebar to get your copy of This Dance, which includes We have come to be danced








Other titles in This Dance

Directions to a poem
The call
Dancing fools 1.
Dancing fools 2.
The search for the feminine in my bones
We have come together
My spirit takes the wind by surprise
To the lies that become us
Tim Booth
For love of the dance
Silver desert DJs
Firewater, toast & Jam
Reflections in the Manhattan Well
The Sonoma well
Staccato man
Medicine dance
This dance
The piece dance
What's my favorite rhythm?
Animus
The way of the clay
I want to take back poetry
71/2 months pregnant
Huayan sutra
Door #2: The cure for amnesia
You floor me
Them bones, them bones, them bugalooing bones
Poem reception



No comments: